Ring in the New Year with this popular favorite. Spanakopita is a traditional Greek savory spinach pie with cheese. But you can skip the dairy and try this veganized version with Nafsika’s Garden Feta style!
My Ingredient List
- 2 cup chopped spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch green onions, minced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 12 tbsp of liquid vegan egg
- 1 ½ cup Nafsika’s Garden Feta (crumbled)
- 2 tsp dried dill weed
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Be sure the spinach is well drained, and squeeze out the excess water by hand.
- In a large bowl, mix the spinach, garlic, green onions, vegan liquid egg, dill, feta, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until it’s all well combined.
- Prepare a 25cm x 33cm baking dish, brush the bottom and side with olive oil.
- Unroll the phyllo sheets, place two of them on top of the baking dish, allowing them to cover the side of the dish. Brush them with olive oil. Add two more sheets, and brush them again. Repeat this process 4 times.
- Evenly spread the filling mixture over the phyllo crust. Top with two more sheets and brush with olive oil.
- Continue to layer the sheets, two at the time while brushing with olive oil, repeat the process 6 more times. Brush the top layer with olive oil, sprinkle a few drops of water on top of it.
- Fold the flaps from the sides. Brush the folded sides well with olive oil.
- Bake for an hour or until the phyllo crust is crisp and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cut into squares. Enjoy!